Saturday, August 27, 2005

1st day being a tourist in London


Today morning as a tourist, I started with Buckingham Palace and I can go inside the Palace. However, they dun allow to take picture at all, so I can't share with you any scene inside the palace. They had given me the audio guide thing, and since I was rushing to finish this one soon so I can see the Changing of the Guard ... I was always ahead of the audio track. haha .. Here is the back of a building inside the palace .. and the green open area has been used as a party place for the queen to meet with many many thousand guests every year.

Inside the building, I saw lots of the jewels that she wears, or other kings and queens wore before. I saw how grand the cutlery, tables, chair or pictures are ... when King George wants to build this palace, he used 3 times over the budget that parliament allowed him, and it is too detaailed that it couldn't be finished before he dies, so the budget was carried over to the next queen.

I finished the tour within 1 hour 15 minutes ... I think I can spend more time in it, 'cos there are just so much to see and I kinda forgot what I have seen inside already ... so bad ... now I walked to the front gate and try my best to peek thru the gate and see the changing of the guard. At first, I was quite excited, but this whole thing takes 45 minutes and since I'm so far away and I can't really see in detail what they're doing, what they're playing (the band) .. I just felt kinda bored.

I walked over to the National Gallery and browse around for 15 minutes, then I headed to Notting Hill to meet with Joey for lunch. We ate in the Portorbello Street and we briefly walked around there as well, it's just like the Ap Liu Street in Shum Shui Po ... so I didn't spend too much time. And we went to British mesum, so she could explain to me what she understand .. and it's good to have her around to explain to me what the "main" attractions are and what's the interesting fact ... however, the meseum closed after an hour and we have to rush to Tate Modern to continue our meseum jorney.

The building now holds Tate Modern used t be a factory building. They converted it to a meseum and moved those works starting from 1900 to here from the Tate meseum. It also looks very nice inside .. She also tried her best to explain to me what she knows, but too bad, I don't have good enough background to understand some of them. Anyway ... we saw lots of paintings and some really weird "arts". Like there are some TV showing some sort of "arts" inside. Like some artist likes to use clown to display different kind of impression .. and on the TV, s/he has this clown jumping up and down and yelling ... that's a piece of "arts". There is another one called "Flip, Flop and something something" .. I went into this huge room, with 4 projects, and each project display a corner of a lab with different colors, 3 of them are flipped in different orders ... and the video is quite static plus some background noise ... and that's it ... I don't know, I just don't have this artistic mindsest to see thru these things.

Anyhow, Joey cooked dinner and so we had dinner at her place. Quite a nice place .. I kinda imaged it'd be some 'old-style' looking apartment, turns out it's quite big and modern ... haha ...

No comments: